Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Kids Kitchen Before and After & Tutorial

I found this kids play kitchen set at a garage sale and  decided to give it a makeover.

Here’s the before:
 IMG_3732

And here’s the after:
IMG_7291

It was in pretty bad shape, with some damage to a few places and doors missing.
IMG_3733  

IMG_3735 

My husband created new shelves and support boards where needed …IMG_4030

And I gave everything two coats of creamy white (Behr’s Cozy Cottage)…IMG_4178

To get the diamond shapes, I first made an X on the surface, then spaced lines three inches apart from there.  Look close to see…IMG_4180
The repeat going the other direction.
 IMG_4182

Lines are barely visible here, but enough to paint in the pattern: IMG_4183

For the doors, I pushed them together and drew my lines as if they were one big surface, that way the pattern worked across the break…IMG_4184

I used Behr’s Gobi Desert for the diamonds.  Then I glazed it using Ralph Lauren’s Smoke glaze.
blog1-3

For the glaze, I used a sponge brush and just brushed it on, and wiped it off.

IMG_4189 

IMG_4190

Repeat or wipe off as much as you need to in order to get the look you’re going for:
IMG_4191

In this picture, the door on the left is glazed but the one on the right is only painted:
IMG_4188

After we painted the hardware and replaced all the doors and shelves, we have a brand new play kitchen:

IMG_7292 IMG_7293 

IMG_7294
Thanks for looking!

This set is for sale if you’re located in the Dallas area.

7 comments:

  1. Hello! Stopping by for the first time! Super awesome job on these kids kitchen pieces! Love the look and style you created.

    Kindly, Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my these are CUTE!!! Love the colors. Hmmm I have a friend in the Dallas area... but no kids yet! I'd love it if you'd link these up over at Trash 2 Treasure Tuesdays on Kammy's Korner! http://kammyskorner.blogspot.com/2011/12/trash-2-treasure-tuesdays-11.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow it's Incredible! Congrats on the sale! Some lucky little girl was happy for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh how cute! I'm sure some little girl is just going to LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete