Sunday, June 26, 2011

Storage Bin / Tool Chest – Before and After

Recently, my husband went to an estate sale and came back with this industrial grade, steel storage bin:
Blog 1 and wm
And it was full of these drawers:
Blog 11 and wm
And he turned it into this!
blog 20 and wm
Here’s how he did it:
First, he used a furniture stripper to peel off all the layers of yuck:
Blog 4 and wm
Blog 5 and wm
Until they looked like this:
Blog 6 and wm
Then he got out these tools:
Blog 14 and wm
And one at a time, the drawers were put in a vise to get polished:
Blog 13 and wm
Blog 15 and wm
Until they sparkled like this:
blog 17 and wm
After everything was sparkly, it got a coat of this spray paint which we LOVE:
blog 28 and wm
And now my hubby has a brand new storage bin for all those little hardware pieces:
blog 20 and wm
blog 21 and wm
blog 23 and wm
Closeup of hammered spray paint finish:
blog 25 and wm
Next project: he has to sort out the contents that came with the bins:
blog 19 and wm
Something tells me he won’t mind this project, now that he has a fantastic looking storage bin to put them in!
blog 27 and wm
Kinda looks like a library card catalog, doesn’t it?  Maybe I’ll make him some labels for the drawers.
Before and After:
before and after and wm

18 comments:

  1. How Great! I would kill for a bin like that. It was a lot of work and he did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This storage bin turned out marvelous! It looks great! I can only imagine the WORK that went into it. Great job!
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow-what a transforamtion! It looks great! Love your buffet, too. You are both mucho talented!
    xoxo
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to have a cabinet like this..Great job and what a great find..Have a great week..
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Project Terry! It's great to see you both doing before and afters. It's really inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The finish looks so professional! Nice job!

    ciao from Newport Beach

    ReplyDelete
  7. What? How is that even possible?? BRILLIANT! Seriously--I keep going back and forth from between the before and after. Such a stunning piece. Now I want one! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's just too cool! It would even look good inside~are you sure you don't want to fight him for it?

    He did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! He did a wonderful job! It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. that's BRILLIANT!!!!
    I want something that cool for my sewing supplies. Bravo hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How nice! Definitely worth the work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! What an amazing transformation! I'm so impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am impressed! I would never think that rusty, old metal could end up looking so good! I want a storage bin like that!

    xoxo
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great project! I always see bins like this around and think "I could do something with that"! I just needed a little inspiration. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This piece is an AMAZING accomplishment...great find too! I'm SUPER jealous. ;) About to post this to my FB page...love it and thanks for linking up!!
    :-)
    shaunna

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness! I love love love this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would love to have a cabinet like this..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good storage bin with good purposes. I would say that It will be very useful things for every purposes of storage. Nice information with attention to detail description.

      Delete