Monday, November 22, 2010

Gingerbread Cookie Ornament Tutorial

IMG_1152
I made a handful of these faux gingerbread cookies for swap.  They’re a snap to create, and today’s tutorial shows you how I made ‘em…
First, I bought a roll of cork (the non-adhesive kind) at Hobby Lobby.  I used a cookie cutter to trace the outline of the cookie and then I cut it out.IMG_1038
Next, I used a combination of brown Folk Art paints (I used Real Brown and Teddy Bear Brown) to paint the cork on both sides.  Dipping the brush in both shades of brown before brushing onto the ornament gives it a more natural, shaded look.  A solid brown color would work just as well.
IMG_1039
I used some white dimensional paint (Americana Writer) for the icing.  I did this freehand, but you could mark with chalk or a pencil first.
IMG_1053
A fresh “baked” batch…
IMG_1054
Finally I used a regular hole punch to punch a hole at the top of each ornament, then strung them with pink and white polka dot ribbon.
IMG_1152
How cute would these look in a treat bag and given as a hostess or teacher gift?  An easy craft the kids can help with, too.  Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. At first when I saw these ornies, I thought you made the applesauce cinnamon ones.. HOW Clever to use cork..it looks just like a cookie! They'll last longer too! GREAT TUT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bet these would be fun to make out of some felt too! You know how I love felt creations. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too cute! I won't know whether to hang 'em up or eat 'em up...the ribbon really completes them. Thanks for sharing! I'm drooling just looking down the right side of the page at all of your other listings. Can't wait to dig in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute but so simple to make! Thanks! I wonder if you put a dab of scent oil would it ruin the cork? Maybe the cork would soak up the smell of cinnamon if we put it in a zip loc bag.

    I Love this and definitely want to make this craft with my grandsons.

    I hope you don't mind but I'm going to share this on my blog along with a link back to your blog for the tutorial!

    I'm also going to share this with our Cafemom Holiday and Party Crafts members with a link back here for the tutorial as well. They'll love this one! We do swaps all the time!

    If you'd be interested in joining us here's the link:
    http://www.cafemom.com/group/22263

    Thanks so much! ~Yolanda~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this will be quick and easy to make...thanks for sharing, and happy to be following your blog now..Bevie

    ReplyDelete